7 Important Benefits of Handmade Clothing
Slow fashion is getting more and more attention every year. The number of people who switch to buying exclusively handmade garments is growing due to important benefits that can be divided in two categories: benefits for the customers and benefits for the environment.
So what is slow fashion? It’s about investing in clothing that is not only purposeful in design but materials. In slow fashion, fewer is better - simply, it’s a deliberate choice to buy better-quality items less often. Slow fashion is environmentally and ethically conscious rather than trend-driven. The garments are durable and lend themselves to repairs, not disposal. Slow fashion is (most importantly) transparent: buyers know where their clothes are coming from and , how it’s made, items are often handmade by artisans.
Because it’s a higher quality garment, there are benefits for you as a customer.
When you purchase a handmade garment you get:
1. Quality fabrics. Slow fashion is based on a more careful fabric selection. The purpose of slow fashion is creating a garment that lasts so brands focus on selecting non-synthetic quality fabrics, like cotton, linen, silk and wool.
2. Durability and long lasting. If fast fashion is all about creating "trendy" pieces, slow fashion aims for making quality garments that don't loose their shape or look worn out after washes. It is made to last for years, rather than to be discarded after one or two seasons.
3. Precise construction and custom sizing option. One of the most attractive benefits of handmade clothing is that it can be custom made. And at BAUH designs, we provide a tailored shopping experience at no extra cost (click here for more info).
4. Exclusive style and design. Many handmade pieces are either one-of a kind, or produced in small, limited edition quantities. slow fashion clothing brands offer high quality of craftsmanship that is indistinguishable from commercial manufacturing.
Benefits for the environment include:
1. Manufacturing process. Since commercial clothing is mass produced in factories, it wastes enormous amounts of energy and produces a lot of green house gas emissions and toxic wastes, all of which are dumped into the air, ground and water. Handmade clothing companies avoid this process all together, by hand making the piece from start to finish.
2. Limited quantities. Slow fashion brands produce their collections in very limited quantities or many of them have made to order feature, that means that items are produced when they are ordered by the customer. When at the same time fast fashion companies often produce more than they sell and by the end of the season the unsold items go to landfill.
3. Using deadstock fabrics. Deadstock fabrics are the left over fabrics of other fashion houses who overestimated their needs. We upcycle this fabric and make beautiful garments out of it. Doing this slow fashion reduces waste and negative impact on environment.
Hope you enjoy some of these benefits as much as they feel good to the environment! If you haven’t, hope you try some “slow fashion” garments!
Shop our new arrivals here